Matthew A. Cole
Since 2008, Matthew Cole has served as the Chair of the Corporate Department at Jacobs Law Group. Matthew has over 25 years’ experience in the fields of corporate, securities, and commercial real estate law. He served for many years as securities counsel to an internationally known New York Stock Exchange-listed company.
Before joining the Jacobs Law Group in 2007, he served as counsel and as an associate with several New York City boutique law firms, and maintained his own legal practice. He graduated from the Temple University School of Law and received his undergraduate degree from the University of Pennsylvania.
Over the years, Matthew has handled a wide variety of transactions and matters, including:
- Advising clients regarding business owner disputes and relations, or “business divorces,” including structuring and implementing buy-out, spin-off, split-up and other transactions that often arise in connection with business divorces
- Counseling issuers and investors regarding private placements of common stock, preferred stock, and convertible notes, including preparing subscription documents and private placement memoranda
- Formation of partnerships, limited liability companies and joint ventures, including preparation of complex operating or partnership agreements
- General legal advice for start-up companies and small businesses, including choice of entity for doing business, raising capital, and preparation of contracts
- Negotiation and preparation of technology, distribution and other types of commercial contracts
- Securities Exchange Act of 1934 Act and stock exchange regulatory compliance, Sarbanes-Oxley and other corporate governance counseling
- Public stock and debt offerings for New York Stock Exchange-listed companies
- Venture capital and other private placements for issuers and investors (including PIPES)
- Mergers and acquisitions involving public and private companies
- Secured and unsecured loans and other financing arrangements, primarily for borrowers
- Commercial real estate leasing representing landlords and tenants and the purchase, sale and financing of commercial real estate
Legal and Civic Activities:
- Secretary, and Member, Board Executive Committee and Chairman, Programming Committee, Alliance Francaise of Philadelphia, since April 2015.
- Mentor, Semifinalist Team, Business Plan Competition of the Wharton School of Business, University of Pennsylvania - assisted team in evaluating legal and regulatory concerns for its proposed business idea as well as further refined marketing, capital raising and other aspects of idea, Winter-Spring 2016.
- Judge, Business Plan Competition of the Wharton School of Business, University of Pennsylvania – First Round Judge, 2015-2016, Second
- Round Judge and First Round Commentator, 2012-2013; First Round Judge, Fall 2011.
- Corporate Partners Council, JEVS Human Services, 2011 to 2015.
- Member, Education Committee, Center for Literacy, 2012.
- Chairman, Business Organizations Committee of the Business Law Section of the Philadelphia Bar Association, 2007-2010.